Tuesday, July 29

We've survived our first earthquake!

Well, I'm sure you've heard by now about the earthquake that hit Chino Hills, California this morning. Chino Hills is about 30 miles west of Loma Linda and let's just say, we definitely felt the shake!

Jared is out in LA for the next 3 weeks for the start of his summer program that is actually at UCLA and USC and I am holding the fort down in Loma Linda...which means we both have different stories of where we were and what we were doing when it happened, but I'll share mine for now. (I'll have Jared post his when he has time because of course his story is better and more exciting than mine) I was getting ready to do some errands and all of a sudden I heard a loud noise (sounded like thunder or lighting) and then I felt everything underneath me start to move and shake. I could hear all our glasses chiming as they were being shaken, could see the pictures shaking on the walls, and I ran and looked out the window and saw our car in the driveway shaking! I knew pretty quickly that there was an earthquake going on. It lasted for probably 20 seconds and then I could feel the aftershocks for at least another 20 seconds. I was pretty scared while it was happening. My heart started to pound and I just remember thinking, "how long is this going to last?" "is it going to get worse?" Fortunately everything here is fine. Nothing came off the wall...nothing broke...no damage done. Not sure what things look like closer to Chino Hills, but Loma Linda for the most part seems fine. I left to run to Target and Trader Joe's right after it happened. Of course it was the only topic of conversation I heard at both stores, but Californians you can tell are used to this sort of thing. Although people were saying this was a pretty big one and it had been awhile since there was a larger earthquake.

The thing that was really scary in all of this is that the cell phone lines were totally bogged up. I could not get a call out for the life of me! Aunt Debby made it through and she was the one who let me know what exactly I just went through (since we don't have the cable hooked up yet), but I couldn't get a call through for about a half hour to Jared...to my parents...my sisters...nothing. So...I'm a little concerned that if/when an emergency like this happens, Verizon circuits are all busy! I was finally able to talk to Jared, my parents and sisters after a half hour or so (they are all fine- my mom and dad felt it pretty good out in Palm Springs too) and we all agreed it was a pretty crazy thing to experience. Kind of funny we were all down here when it happened!

So that's the exciting news from California today. This is still definitely the Adams Adventure...never a dull moment! :)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

IN MATT 27:51 When Jesus gave up the Ghost there was an Earthquake.The Centurion feared GREATLY and said Truely this was the SON of GOD!What you guys experinced is just another reminder that Jesus is comming again.Be safe and of Good Cheer!

juan adams said...

In Matt 27:51 Jesus gave up the Ghost and after that there was a earthquake.The Centurion said Truely this was the SON oF GOD!Earthquakes can be frightful but be of Good Courage and be as Safe as you possibly can be for these are signs of things to Come.Glad you are Safe.Love Ma and Pa ADAMS