Tuesday, November 3

Julia Meets Jadie

So if any of you saw the movie "Julie and Julia" you will know what this blog post is about. In the movie, Julie attempts Julia Child's Beef Bourgignon (yes, that's french) recipe...a difficult recipe for basically an out-of-this-world beef stew. After seeing the movie, which I loved because I love cooking and I love a cooking challenge/trying something new, I decided to challenge myself to make this recipe for Jared and I. I wanted to make it in the Fall because it is fitting to the season, but I have to say it was 90 degrees on Sunday down here in So Cal. I did it anyway and 5...yes 5 hours later, this is what we had for dinner...Beef Bourgignon. There are other recipes for this I found online that take shorter time, but my whole goal was to do it Julia's way or no way. It was a success- the taste is delicious and I think it is attributed to the way the meat is cooked so long and because you cook it in a whole bottle of the best red wine you can afford. Jared got it yestereday and today for lunch too, so it makes enough for 4-6 people.
It does not look gorgeous in this picture...but this is the end product. A tasty beef stew with pancetta, carrots, pearl onions, & mushrooms (all cooked separately and a special way than I've ever done), and then a sauce/gravy on the side. I served it with thick sliced garlic and buttered sourdough bread so you can soak up all the juices and leave a clean plate. :)


Right before the reveal. I cooked with the apron all day to feel like I was Miss Julia and pump myself up for the 5 hour recipe.

Oh...and Happy late Halloween! Here's our pumpkin we carved Saturday night. We did Halloween in this year because midterms were this week. Had fun just the two of us, but did make it to a get-together with some friends Friday night which was a nice break for Jared.


4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Jadie, you amaze me. The Beef Bourgignon looks delicious! So proud of you for accomplishing a goal. What's next??

Emilie said...

It sounds fantastic! I'm so impressed with your skills and your endurance for all 5 hours!

Life with the Lyons said...

ahh! love it! loved the movie too! I'm definitely inspired and I've recently been following numerous food-blogs and trying some new recipes. Haven't tried the infamous Beef B. yet...maybe someday. :)

K

Amy Hook said...

Good for you, Jadie! I have to say, don't read the book. I haven't seen the movie yet but I heard it was great (I want to see it) so I chose it for our book club book. Slightly disappointing...but I got the supplies to make her almond chocolate cake and one of these days I'm going to pull a little Amy/Julia project too and make it (I was going to make it for book club but got sick:(). You have inspired me to make it anyway!! Go Jadie!!